Wednesday, November 5, 2008

some post election-day fun

I haven't gotten pics of any WIPs or finished items. C and I went to Sam's Club to stock up on more kitchen staples yesterday we found a pretty decent digital camera for something like $120. I really want to get my Etsy off the ground soon, but it'll have to wait until I have a way to take decent pics of my items. That will have to wait until I can justify spending $120 or so on something that is not food staples or other items necessary for a properly operating household.

There was a fun little meme over at Cheap Like Me yesterday. Some fun things are on the list so I figured I'd give it a go this morning.

Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Mark any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos Rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding (sounds less appealing than whole insects, but I managed those just fine)
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp (not as bad as some people say it is, as long as it's properly gutted and cleaned; tastes like any other white fish actually)
9. Borscht (I absolutely love beets, but somehow I've managed not to have eaten this yummy-sounding item as yet)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho (ridiculously yummy, my favorite item at the local Vietnamese place)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes (Purple Cherokees are quite delicious, which is really saying something for someone who despises tomatoes in general)
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras (thinking this probably isn't my cuppa)
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn or head cheese (boiled brains weren't bad, but this concept isn't really appealing at all)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (are you kidding?)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters (not so good raw, they tasted like I was drinking Jewell Lake back home. ICK)
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut (I love just about anything cababge)
35. Root beer float (I agree with Cheap, even yummier with vanilla vodka)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (those crickets were pretty darned tasty, actually)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu (don't think that's something I'll be trying)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (yay Coffee Concerts at the SLSO)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (not so good, really)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (sounds great to me, just like normal mashed taters, only fried instead of boiled)
60. Carob chips
61. S'mores
62. Sweetbreads (would never try this)
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (looked like alien fetus and made my friend's apartment smell like a litterbox)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis (I'd rather not)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (count me out for this one)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe (delicious)
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (when the mailman hits a deer at the end of your driveway in northern Michigan in the middle December you don't question that it's roadkill, by all counts it's freshly killed venison and you clean and freeze it just like you would had someone actually hunted it)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers (there are so many kinds of edible flowerswith so many different flavors)
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish (not a big fan, but it's considered comfort food where I come from)
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta (great just about any way it's prepared)
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (Not opposed at all to eating it, just that it's not something one usually goes hunting for. That and the roadkilled ones aren't generally salvagable as far as eating them goes. Fishing bait, on the other hand, is a great use for roadkilled snakes.)

1 comment:

  1. Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails