Thursday, January 15, 2009

home improvement, sort of

There hasn't been a whole heck of a lot of crafting going on around here lately, hence not much posting. The has been, however, a lot of cleaning and reorganizing going on. Most of my life has been in small plastic totes for the last decade courtesy of 1. the house fire 2. moving to MO for college and 3. storing things at my parents' until I had a place of my own.

Last week I went through a large tote full of items from my junior and senior years of high school. At this time I was living with a couple of friends and their families so that I could graduate from the school system I had attend my entire academic life so far. I have a picture of the resultant explosion of sorting, disposing, replacing, and freecycling. I do not have my camera right now. C took it with him when we attended a dinner party for a friend and I forgot to bring it home because I had not brought it. Thus my camera is still at said friend's apartment.

The pic of the fabric and sewing machine a while back was about making curtains. They are not yet finished. The fabric has been laundered and air dried. I now need to press it, hem the bottom and attach tabs to the top for the curtain rod. I don't want to do this until I can take pictures for a tutorial, but it is darned cold here (1 degree F above 0 this morning!) and those sure would stop some drafts from cold windows.

We purchased shelving last night at about 10. Wal-Mart near us is 24 hours. It is kind of ghetto, but it's open when we are available to do things (really late in the evening). They all have a galvanized steel frame with fiberboard/OSB shelf inserts and are made in the USA. The 2 large ones are assembled with a hammer and are rated for 900 lbs; the small with a screwdriver and for 300 lbs. These are no wimpy shelving units! At the very least I know I can put all of the cookware and ceramic pieces I want on them and they will not collapse or fall off the wall like the shelf that came with the kitchen when we moved in.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for organization! I still have to do that. Especially seeing as Mike is bringing home an elliptical tonight. I have no idea where we are going to put it. Happy curtain making and remember... it's -25 here with the windchill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how I missed this comment before, but EEP! That is darned cold. I'm glad it's almost spring time for good here now.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails