Tuesday, March 24, 2009

good morning


That's my kitchen right now. A mess I know, but MUCH better than it has been. I crammed myself into the corner between the fridge and the wall to get this shot. I've been clearing out clutter, recycling things, and putting things in their new permanent homes on the new shelves slowly but surely. This is the last of the chaos. That's my crafting desk there and a small table G left behind that will now serve as a bench with storage space underneath.

The tool bag is still out from putting in a new faucet in the kitchen last week. We can now wash medium to large sized dished without clanging them on the sink basin and possibly breaking or cracking them as well eventually attach that water filter C has been bemoaning the disuse of since he moved in. It just wouldn't fit on the faucet so we could still use the sink.

Under the tool bag is a couple of plastic totes and two 50 pound bags of cheap dirt. One is aged cow manure (I know the wonders of this stuff from the pasture dirt back home) that was less than $5 and plain old generic potting soil that was $1.25. One tote will be used to plant and raise some potatoes that were found sprouting when we got the kitchen (mostly) in order. Another will be used to plant summer squash since we will be moving when our lease is up and I want to be able to take them with us. I didn't get any squash last year because I planted too late and squash borer beetles annihilated my plants before I really knew what was going on. The last tote for planting is a small one I will be planting with a combination of basil types; lemon and lime, globe and Italian sweet. I'd really like to have a Thai basil plant as well. I killed mine after wintering it over so well by putting it in the green house too soon this spring.

I woke up early this morning courtesy of crashing ladder sounds from somewhere nearby our building. I woke up thinking one of the birds had had a seizure or stroke since there were a lot of crashing sounds when Crash had a stroke and died. Birds are fine. They're actually chilling out on opposite cages right now as if they belong there or something. Weirdos. Any other morning they're fighting mad that the other has the gall to actually set foot (or beak) on their house.


Half naked chicken on the right is Bird chilling on Lily's house eating her green pepper. The thief. He doesn't even try to be sly about it anymore, either. Guess that's why Lily's taken to raiding his food dish on a daily basis while he's preoccupied with veggies she never really wanted in the first place but I keep offering in the hope she'll eventually realize green stuff isn't poison and is actually pretty tasty.


Breakfast is in the oven. Sliced potatoes (the slicing side of a good hand grater is awesome for doing this efficiently I found this morning) on the bottom, the last of a bag of frozen mix veggies on top of that, drizzle the whole thing with leftover homemade Caesar dressing (the no egg version from Pioneer Woman), sliced fresh green pepper on top of that and all topped off with some nice ground mixed peppercorns, kosher salt and Kraft brand parmesan cheese from the little plastic bottle. I'd rather not buy from Kraft, but it was on super sale and that really is a story for another day. That white stuff all over the bottom of my oven is a mix of salt and baking soda that I threw in to get overflowed cheese (from lasagna a couple weeks ago) to stop burning and smoking. I cleaned most of it out, but I'm waiting for a nice warm day I don't have to work to get out the washing soda and go to town actually cleaning the oven. Open windows, sunshine and outside sounds make it easier for me to clean.

I should go mix up a batch of quick bread of some sort to more efficiently make use of the oven being on today, but we haven't eaten the results of my last early morning baking spree yet. There's still half a loaf each of cornflake/date/sunflower and chocolate/banana with Hungarian half sharp paprika added. The banana one is my favorite. I skimped on the sugar when I made them though, so they've lasted longer than quick breads would normally in this house. I figure we get more than enough sugar already even though we've practically eradicated soda and other things from the house. Pepsi was on sale this week at Shop N Save, though, and C picked some up while I wasn't with him and had sent his to the store for something else. Oh well. It's tasty occasionally, even though I can't possibly go through an entire bottle in a day like he can.

2 comments:

  1. Woo organization! I like organization. I actually only have a few more boxes to unpack and then I will be officially all unpacked. Thanks for a pic of the green fuzzies! I miss the not so fuzzy one. My pastor has a green fuzzy of his own. Her name is Zipper. She is cute and also doesn't like veggies or fruits... or people food in general. Do you have any tips on veggies to container garden with? I want a black krim tomato, green bean (bush variety), sweet pepper (California wonder), and maybe zucchini. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, I don't know about the tomato but everything else should do just fine in a pot. Make sure the soil for the pepper plant isn't too rich though or all you'll get is pepper bush and no actual peppers. I'm trying out the summer squash in a container for the first time this year so you have about as good of an idea about this as me right now.

    I've never really bothered with the sweet peppers in pots because I don't feel like I can get enough fruit off of them to warrant growing them. I grow hot peppers instead; they seem to produce more fruits than the sweet peppers. This may not be true if I did an actually honest to goodness experiment and weighed the fruits from each variety for one year since they may actually produce a comparable amount of fruit by weight and I just feel like I'm getting more with the hot peppers because they are smaller and more numerous.

    And as much as I have a personal vendetta against plastic that has developed in the last couple months I have to admit when it comes to larger containers for growing foodstuffs, those plastic totes seem to be the most bang for your buck in a way. I'm not certain how well they will hold up to the elements, though, so it may end up being wiser in the mid-term investment front to get actual gardening pots instead. But when I could get 4 of the larger totes for less than the price of one decent (but not large) gardening pot I couldn't force myself to go the most ecologically sound route and buy ceramic or wood containers.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails