Friday, June 25, 2010

Recipe Friday

This is the my computer broke and I didn't get to make anything for you edition of Recipe Friday. Next week I will show you how to make black bean burgers. They are very yummy even if you're not vegetarian, promise. (Well, I suppose that is as long as you don't have a lifelong feud with/hatred for beans in any form. In that case next week's Recipe Friday edition will not be for you.)

In the meantime please turn on your speakers, turn the volume up a little, click play and enjoy these videos of my newest favorite, Duke Special (a.k.a. Peter Wilson). Duke Special is very theatrical and narrative songwriting. Sort of Vaudeville meets big band and bebop with a twinge of Dresden Dolls style gritty macabre. There's also A-mazing orchestration. Seriously, if you in the least enjoy a well-orchestrated piece of music, you have to give Duke Special a try. Enough of my descriptors. Go, click, listen!

*edit*
*After having posted, I realize the first and last videos are too wide for my current blog format. I don't like it, but I'm not exactly happy with Blogger's new Template Designer, either, since all of the available templates to work with have the thin posting area in the center like this one and loads of space to the right for whatever gadgets and such people want to add. I'm not much of a gadgets person here, so I'll be working on getting a template/format that doesn't leave the post area looking so scrawny. Please try to ignore how awful it looks (with the wide videos) for the time being. Thanks.* FIXT!






Below are 2 versions of the same song. One is with the entire band; the other piano and voice only. As an orchestration demonstration. 'Cause I'm a music nerd like that and really enjoy listening to such things. As an aside, I have no idea what all the head-spinny business is about in the first video. Some sort of 1910s/20s toy I would guess.



3 comments:

  1. There is part of the new blogger design thingy where you can change the widths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ORLY? I kinda want my old template back, but haven't figured out yet how to do that. I like some of the features and the way most of the newer stuff looks, but I liked the older template better in terms of functionality. I'll see what I can do about the column width thing, though, since you say there's an option to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was embarrassingly easier than I was trying to make it...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails