Friday, August 27, 2010

Recipe Friday: Almond Milk

I'm at the farm with family now so I don't have reliable, fast internet. Because of this, I can't add photos to the following recipe, but I will do so once I get back home. However, this recipe really is basic and straightforward enough that a lot of explanation is probably not needed.

Almond milk is a delicious alternative to dairy milk. It's also the most decadent of the non-dairy milks I can make at home.  Almond milk's decadence lends itself splendidly to use as a whitener or creamer in coffee and tea as well as making really good non-dairy ice cream.

note: I prefer to soak my almonds overnight. It softens the nuts and I think the little bits strain out better. This may just be in my head, however, and not an actuality. Feel free to skip the soaking process if you feel so inclined or are in a hurry. 






Almond Milk
Ingredients
raw almonds
water

Instructions
1.  Soak 1 cup of plain, raw almonds in 2 cups water overnight. 2. Drain and discard soaking water
3. Put almonds and 4 cups fresh water in blender and liquify
4. Strain with cheesecloth or other appropriate material into a saucepan. The saucepan should provide a wide enough area to strain everything without making a huge mess and enough volume to hold all the liquid
5. Put the but solids back into the blender pitcher with another 4 cups of water and repeat steps 3 and 4
6. Mix with a spoon and decant your almond milk into jars

The pulverized nutmeats can be used as is or dried as tasty and healthful additions to baked goods, desserts and cereals both hot and cold and make a great ice cream topping.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea, thanks, will have to give it a try once the trees give me enough nuts:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails