Friday, April 1, 2011

Recipe Friday: Orange Salad

Orange because it's orange colored, not because it's made of oranges (though there is one of those in there).

This salad is really easy to put together; took me all of about 20 minutes from gathering the ingredients to putting it in the fridge for later. It's also easy to adjust the spices and seasonings to your own preference, although it is a fairly sweet salad (due to the main ingredient being carrots) so it may not be to some folks liking solely because of that. It is a favorite of mine since I was a kid and I like it with lots and lots of ginger added (way more than what I've added here today), but since I was making it for everyone in the house I had to tone down the ginger use. 

I recommend making this at least an hour before you want to eat it as the ginger flavor doesn't really start to come out until then. Toasted sesame seeds make a good garnish at serving time. It's also really good with raisins or sliced almonds added in addition to (or instead of) the seaweed and ginger.

Orange Salad Ingredients

Ingredients:
3-6 carrots, shredded or finely julienned (super easy to do with a mandoline!)
1-2 apples (one if large, 2 if small)
1 orange
seaweed (soaked, rinsed and otherwise prepped for consumption)
pickled ginger (I used salt pickled ginger; not the sweet pickled ginger for sushi)
honey
lemon juice (fresh or concentrate)
vinegar from the pickled ginger (or plain if you prefer)

mayonnaise
plain yugurt
salt and pepper


Instructions

1. Get out a big bowl and shred or cut up your carrots into it. I started with a box grater (which works out just fine) but then decided that I wanted the texture of my carrots to blend more with my ginger in the hope that maybe the guys wouldn't recognize right away that there was ginger in it. FYI: it didn't work.
shredded carrots

2. Peel your orange with a knife. Cut through all the pith straight to the juicy fruit part inside. There is a fancy term for peeling your oranges like this. I don't remember what that term is.
peeling the orange
Set the peels aside for later and cut up your orange into small-ish chunks, squeezing some of the juice into the bowl.
cutting up the orange


3. Peel and cut up your apple, adding it to the bowl.
apple, peeled and cut up, added to bowl


4. Cut up your prepared seaweed. I used about 1/2 cup of prepared seaweed for this salad. This is also a good shot of my most favorite knife. I should write up a love poem blog post about this knife some day, I really love it that much. Thank you, thank you, thank you for gifting me with this awesome knife a few years ago, Missouri Gun Guy.
seaweed and knife


5. Measure out and add pickled ginger. I used about 2 tablespoons, which is what is shown on the cutting board in the photo.
pickled ginger


6. Now comes the fun, messy part; making the dressing. This is also the part where measurements become a little more important. Gather together the remaining ingredients and a small bowl for mixing.
dressing ingredients

7. Measure out the following into the bowl: 2 tablespoons honey (see bottom of post for a tip if your honey has sugared), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon vinegar (from pickled ginger for more gingery goodness, or just plain if you prefer less gingery), 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2-3/4 cup yogurt, sprinkling of salt and pepper, zest from orange peels. It should look something like this:
dressing ingredients in bowl, with name diagram


8. Mix that all together. Taste for salt and pepper and acidity, adjust accordingly and mix into shredded carrot to make your salad.You can eat it straight away or refrigerate it until meal time. Be sure to taste it for salt, pepper and acidity before serving as the flavors do change a bit after it sets for a while and these may need adjusting.

finished salad




This salad is already vegetarian, but can be made vegan by making appropriate substitutions for the yogurt and mayo. It will keep for up to 3 days if refrigerated, but it never lasts that long around me; especially if there's extra pickled ginger available to add to it.





Bonus sugared honey tip:
If you are anything like me, your honey rarely has an opportunity to sugar before it gets used. I love the stuff and absolutely will have an apiary of my own some day. I do sometimes purchase honey that is a little older, though, as it does crystallize before I use it up.
sugared honey

Simply leave the honey in its original container. Remove the lid and place the container in an appropriately sized pot or pan. Fill the pan with water up to the fill line of the honey in your container. Place this on the stovetop on a low, simmering setting until your honey re-liquefies again. It probably will not stay liquid for very long since it has already sugared once, but this should give you a day or two to use it before it does. Sometimes you can do this in the microwave, but I always end up with really super hot honey when I do that so I do it on the range instead.

sugared honey in pot of water for heating

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails